Sunday, October 24, 2010

Long weekend - Fish Pie

Well not a holiday long weekend but a long one just the same. Charlene is away on a girls weekend in Mont Tremblant, staying at Homeward Suites by Hilton. We stayed at Chalet Lauzon in Tremblant in the summer - very scenic and definitely worth the drive and stay if you ever head that way. I spent part of this weekend moping about but tried to keep busy with the things that need to be done around a home - yeah chores!

So with laundry, yard work, general tidying, vacuuming the cars and what not it was time to cook. I should mention that my cooking of one dish paled by comparison to my dad who informed me via facebook he was cooking up everything from:

"BEEF AND BROCCOLI ...EGG FOO YONG..SWEET AND SOUR PORK AND GINGER AND GARLIC GIANT PRAWNS WITH CHICKEN FRIED RICEVEGGIE LASAGNA ;SPAG SCE ,CHILLI.GOULASH STROGONOF...10 LOAVES OF 16 GRAIN BREAD NOT TO MENTION 6 DARK RYE.OATMEAL AND RAISIN COOKIES BLUEBERRY ..APPLE AND RHUBARB PIES CARROT CAKES AND NOT FORGETTING THE VARIOUS MUFFINS"

Well that's just showing off! Granted the man is a Chef but really does my attempting a meagre Fish Pie compare? Well the proof is in the pudding, and well, seeing I didn't cook a pudding he's beaten me hands down!

Never the less, my Fish Pie started with a craving. My mum made the best fish pie and it has been absolutely ages since I have had what I consider a great comfort food. My goal to perfect the fish pie. We'll see about that. So this is how it went a trip to purchase some fresh fish - not in the mood to go to The Market so I opted for Loblaws and selected some Turbot and Cod as my two main fish ingredients. I like the contrast in tastes and these were the two I chose - though I would have liked something with a smokey flavour. Anyway, I poached the fish with bay leaves, cloves and onions in homo milk strained and then made the white sauce. At the moment I'm still unsure about the white sauce - I prepped it last night as I wanted to have it ready for Charlene tonight. I'm a bit worried the sauce may be too thick - I've never made one before. Dad seems to think it may be alright - I think he's being kind.

Regardless I know some people do eggs on top and have smashed or sliced boiled potatoes etc. I opted for placing the fish in the bottom of the dish, covered in white sauce, added some veg. used what was on hand though I'm thinking fresh leek and carrot would have been nice - but I used frozen Green Giant corn and peas. Covered in my smoothly mashed potatoes and a generous coating of cheddar cheese a top. Now I'm going to toss this in the over to bake at 200 degrees for 2 hours later today and see what happens! Hopefully it isn't too bad and doesn't make Charlene think she should have stayed away and come home after dinner!

Update: The white sauce was `perfect` - Charlene loved it. As I expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment